Check the Cliff

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Fire

I awoke to shouts and screams outside the window of the third floor loft. My feet had hit the floor before my mind could register the fact that it was still dark out. Tayler was sitting up in bed saying something, probably asking what was going on, but I didn’t hear her as I ran out the door and down the two flights of stairs. Someone was running through the living area, taking a shortcut to get to the kitchen quicker no doubt. I ignored them and ran to the front door leading to the main courtyard of the settlement. Before I reached it, I knew what had happened. I flung the door open and my stomach jumped up into my throat. Across the way, one of the apartment complexes was burning.
Before the End, a fire would have caused some alarm, sure. But the people would have heard the fire alarms go off and evacuated the building as quickly as possible. I’m sure one, maybe two would have been stuck in the inferno, but in short time the fireman would have showed up. Decked out in their fireproof outfits, they would have marched into the building and rescued the poor souls trapped inside. Once done, rubber hoses with pressurized nozzles would have been hooked up to a metal fire hydrant, which would have been connected to the town’s water supply. With a flip of a handle, a blast of fire-quenching water would have shot out and began controlling the raging flames. Of course it was hard work; Brandon told me all about it many times. But now? Oh, now I know why the people of the ancient times pictured Hell as a burning, searing place filled with never ending fire. Ever since the End, we all know the destructive power of the flames.
Dozens of people were running back and forth to the river, carrying buckets, pails, cups, anything they could to bring water to the burning building. Dozens more were running to the blaze from the Commons, knowing it was their duty as members of this community to help in an emergency like this. I scanned the chaos, looking for a familiar face in an event like this. Suddenly a strong hand grabbed my arm and spun me around.
“Let’s go!” Brandon yelled into my face, his voice having no trace of the panic everyone else’s did. He was trained for this. I ran after him into the barn, where two people were busy hauling a long rubber hose out from a plastic storage bin. I went to help them, but Brandon motioned for me to come with him to another bin. Three more people ran in to help the others; public safety people I noticed. The group was most likely the new fire brigade that Brandon appointed. I didn’t have time to see exactly who they were, because as soon as Brandon tore off the lid of the bin he pulled me to, my attention was focused. Apparently the public safety department had been busy lately.
The pump must have weighed over a hundred pounds, but we both had enough adrenaline in us that we only needed to pull one man away from the hose duty to help. When we reached the river’s edge, Brandon instructed us to put the contraption down where the water would cover the bottom filters. Once done, the third man began turning a crank on the side of it. As gears turned, the fire brigade finished stretching the hose out, and attached it to the nozzle on the pump. Another helper began turning a second crank, and soon water began flowing through the pump into the hose. It seemed to take forever, but soon there was enough pressure built up in the hose that the lead fireman opened the throttle and let out a chilling stream of water at the base of the fire. A few people stood staring, but this new attack on the blaze gave people a second wind, and they began hurrying to the river for more water.
It took two hours to quell the fire. After the first, I was able to go around and try to figure out what happened. Brandon had already gathered witnesses, and had gotten statements from those who were in the building when the fire started but weren’t too badly hurt to talk. Most had gotten out, but there were eight people over in the hospital now, being treated for burns and smoke inhalation. Seeing Brandon work like this made me smile; awkward at the moment, but it was funny to think the people almost didn’t want him as the department head of public safety. Too young my ass. I finally was able to talk to him myself. And apparently this fire wasn’t an accident.
The next day, a council meeting was held. Brandon, Sherry, Jay, Jon, Alice, and myself were present, along with the three randomly selected members of the community to act as a public voice. I recognized Drew among them, but the other two were only familiar faces. Amazing how large of population we now have, considering what we started with. The meeting was curt; what happened, and what to do. According to eye witnesses, there was a lone figure seen running from the fire right after it started. The figure ran right into the central building, and right past me, something I realized after hearing the story the first time from Brandon. My own feelings about retribution against this person are definitely going to influence my decisions today.
Earlier this morning, a scouting party returned without the arsonist, but with news. A small camp had been made last night outside of our scouting perimeter, and was found cleaned out by the scouting party. The campers left in haste, which was fortunate, because they left behind valuable evidence. Bandits have almost been eradicated from the area, except for a few clans here and there. The evidence is unmistakable. Tracks from last night lead straight to the camp, which was made by Red Dragons, a vicious bandit clan that had a strong hold north of the community.
Our community has evaded war for almost five years. That is not to say we are not prepared, however. I raise the question; it had been my desire to eliminate the bandits before they grew too strong, but had been outvoted. Which was understandable, but now it might be too late. The Red Dragons are powerful, and we will need help. But getting rid of this group is a necessity, now more than ever. As the topic of war is discussed, I see something behind the eyes of everyone in the group. Revenge. We had been so fortunate, many thought us untouchable. Perhaps it isn’t such a good idea to go to war with arrogance and vengeance leading the way. However it is too late. The fire has already begun.

No comments: