Check the Cliff

Monday, November 18, 2013

Pokemon: The Frontera Region (A Pokemon Fanfiction)



Episode 3: Gaining Approval
            The next morning brought a slight drizzle as Nick walked home from Adam’s house. The rain merely prompted him to walk faster, but Nidoran loved the rain and little puddles that were forming. Nick kept reflecting on the day before, and how in such a short time his entire life had altered. A week ago he was trying to decide what classes to take next semester, and Adam was trying to weasel his way up to assistant manager at his job. Yet now both of them were on a crash course to be pokemon trainers, and neither was regretting it. Nidoran had beaten a few more pokemon yesterday, and Adam finally found a good sized clearing for Rhyhorn to really have room to train. It was a day unlike any other for them, and they knew there would be even better days in the future.
            However Nick was not looking forward to return home this morning. After walking out on his parents yesterday and not coming home last night, he didn’t think the reception would be warm.
            As Nick walked in the door, he was greeted cheerfully by his mother. “Hey, Mom, I’m sorry about last night.”
            “Oh stop,” Cecilia said, “I was there yesterday, I heard what your father said.”
            Nick’s smile died a little. “Has he said anything else about it?”
            Cecilia shook her head. “He hasn’t said a thing. When I woke up he was already gone for the gym. I figure he’s blowing off some steam.”
            “Well I came back for some stuff. I figured maybe if he was here we could talk. I really thought he’d be happy about this.”
            “So did I, honey,” Cecilia said, forcing a smile. “He has his reasons though. Just give him some time.”
            Nick sighed and walked past up the stairs to his bedroom. An hour later he came back down, Nidoran nipping at his heels, excited for going back out to train. Halfway down the stairs Nick stopped, hearing voices coming from the backyard. He walked up to the glass door and saw his parents sitting on their back porch with Arcanine sunbathing next to his mother. The massive dog pokemon was lying on its side with a tongue dangling out its mouth, however Nick knew in a moment’s notice the pokemon could be on all fours, heat radiating from its red and orange coat and breathing scorching fire.
He could tell his parents were having a serious conversation, and he did not want to intrude. However his mother saw him and waved for him to come outside.
            “Your father and I were just discussing this latest endeavor of yours,” she said with a half-smile as she continued petting Arcanine. “I have yet to change his mind.”
            Julius looked up at Nick and shook his head. “Not that she hasn’t tried.” The raw anger was gone from his voice, but the disapproval was still there. “I still do not believe you are mature enough for this.”
            “Mature enough? Dad, there are little kids wandering Bug Bay with their pokemon all the time. I’m more than mature enough.”
            Julius sighed, “Yes, there are lots of young children with pokemon. But they are not trainers, in the same sense you want to become. You want to travel much farther than Bug Bay. It will be more dangerous than you can imagine.”
            “I don’t understand,” Nick said, starting to get tired of arguing, “people travel every day. It’s not like we are going into completely uncharted territory.”
            “But you are going out into this world looking for trouble. And with Adam with you, it makes it double. You’re purposely going to go out of your way to battle other trainers, and not every trainer out there plays by the same nice rules as you do. You need to make sure you can defend yourself, even without your pokemon.”
            “I get it, this is all things you’ve told me before. I’ve been in fights before, I can handle myself.”
            “Honey, you’ve been in one fight, and Adam was there to help you win.” Cecilia shrugged her shoulders as she spoke, seemingly to say she’s not on anyone’s side particularly.
            Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Well how am I supposed to know if I’m ready unless I go out and try?”
            Julius stood up. “I’ll know when you’re ready.”
            “Sure,” Nick said, looking him in the eyes, “but I’m not so sure you’ll let me know when you do.”
            “What do you want from me, Nick?”
            “How about your blessing for me to do this?”
            “And I can’t give that to you until I know you are ready.”
            Nick shook his head, trying to figure out a way to get through to his dad. After a moment he thought of something. “What if I beat you in a battle? I mean, I’ll have to eventually to get the badge.”
            For a moment Nick saw a spark of something in Julius’ eyes, but then it was gone, and the look of disapproval returned. “Beat me? Son, from one man to another, you’ve got awhile to go before that.”
            “Well then I better start right away.” Nick turned and walked back into the house to finish packing what he needed. When the door was closed, Julius sighed, and Cecilia stood up and put her arm around his waist.
            “He’s not going to stop, darling. He’s your son all right.”
            “I know,” Julius sighed again, shaking his head. “I just hope I can help stop him from making my same mistakes.”

            High up in the trees, the bird pokemon all sang their different songs. Most of the calls reminded Adam of the pokemons’ names, but strung together the notes made enchanting music.
            “I need one of those,” he whispered to Rhyhorn, who was walking slowly next to him. “I have you to control the ground, but I need one of them to control the sky. Now the decision is which one?”
            A flock of Pidgeys flew away, leaving the area quieter. Still, one tree had a single song being sung. Adam walked carefully up to the base and craned his neck to see what bird pokemon was still singing. Halfway up the tree Adam saw a little bird sitting alone, crying out in a noisy tune. It was only about a foot in height, with a gray feathered body and black feathers on its head and wing tips. Its face was white, along with a white spot on its chest. A sharp, orange beak tipped with black adorned the bird’s face. Even when it opened its wings, it was still a tiny bird pokemon.
            “That’s a…hmm wait I know this. Not a Taillow, or a Pidove. A Starly! Yes, that’s it. Damn if Nick was here he’d have known that in heartbeat. But I’m sure it’s a Starly. And soon it’ll be my Starly.”
            Adam shuffled through his backpack, looking for a pokeball. “Here it is. Now I know I should try weakening it before I throw the ball, but I have a feeling Rhyhorn here isn’t going to be able to catch that thing if it doesn’t wanna fight. So, I guess here goes nothing!”
            Adam threw the pokeball at the Starly. The pokeball bumped into Starly, startling the pokemon. But as soon as the ball hit it a flash a light came from within the device. Starly’s body was transformed into the red light and sucked into the pokeball. The ball fell to the ground and bounced once, then shook. Adam held his breath as he watched the ball shake again. The clerk at the pokemart told him the pokeball would shake three times, and then the red light in the center would go out if the pokemon was caught. But until that light went out, the pokemon could break free.
            Adam sucked air in as the ball shook slightly again for a third time, and then let the air out in one big sigh when the red light disappeared from the pokeball’s center. The whole woods seemed to get quieter, and Adam simply started at the pokeball for a minute. He slowly walked over and picked up the pokeball, looking at the round two-inch sphere in his hand which now contained his second pokemon. Then it hit him. He had just caught his first pokemon.
            Adam jumped up into the air, yelling and laughing in joy. He tossed the pokeball up, and in a flash Starly appeared, crying out its name.
            “Starly!” Adam yelled, “I choose you!”

No comments: